Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Teaching Is

Teaching is

"Here, Miss Maddox, I made this for you. It's Catwoman."

"Thank you, [name of small child who has spent who knows how much of the day recreating Harley Quinn and associates on small pieces of paper]." Do I remind you of Catwoman?

At least she got her homework done.

Teaching is

Making Miss 7th Grade Math cry because I said she was running when she probably was just walking fast. We were playing a game at the whiteboard where they had to write the name of the continent or ocean on the correct continent or ocean. Don't worry, I knew she was fine when she laughed at the antics of a short boy who jumped to try to reach the top of the board so he could write "Arctic Ocean".

Teaching is

Drawing a world map on the board, freehand, because your computer crashed again right before recess.

Teaching is

Making your students pronounce Pangea correctly, because if they're going to insult your world map you've just drawn on the board, they had better say it correctly.

Teaching is

Wondering why there are students in your class who are supposed to be back in their homeroom at that moment.

Teaching is

Making the new student think you're crazy because you're hyped about reading "Frindle." And you're doing echo reading but your reading is WAAAAAY over the TOP! So she's super confused why everyone is excited about reading.

Teaching is

Trying to plan for the next day even though you want to go home and sleep.

Teaching is

Taking down the "Fidget Spinners for Sale" sign from a student's locker and having a conversation with the student that selling banned objects at school is a bad idea.

Teaching is

Observing another teacher's lesson at the beginning of prep so you can teach better.

Teaching is

Changing the schedule only to have your students point out that it's wrong.

Teaching is

Way more papers on the ground than have even been passed out.

Teaching is

"I'm cleaning under my desk, because I was putting my homework away and I realized it's a big mess down there."

At least he also finished his homework.

2 comments:

  1. Lol! Some of these are so funny! I hope you do another one of these sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a great teacher! Maybe I can hire you as my childrens' private tutor when I whisk my family away to travel the world.!

    ReplyDelete