Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Well that was easy: Day One

Things that happened today:

1. There was a wasp in my classroom. Don't worry, it didn't sting anyone. It didn't really bother anyone but me when I stood near it. It decided to hang out on the window until an aide helped me capture it in a cup and take it outside.

2. I told all of my students that when I was being shown my class list, they looked it over and were like, "Oh they're a good student. Oh that's a good student. Oh, all of these kids are good students. Your whole class is full of good students." I think they even believed me.

3. I used the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution to set up rules for my classroom. This is a truly brilliant idea that I thank my mother for. What better way to teach that a classroom needs rules than to say that the early colonists wrote the Declaration to tell King George that here was the list of 28 specific rules that he broke in very egregious ways and they weren't going to be under that rule anymore. Then talk about how the most brilliant and bright men of each state was sent to a Constitutional Convention where they wrote all the rules they were going to follow. Then they all signed their names. We're going to do that tomorrow.

4. I learned how to use the laminator.


AHA! AND! I ordered Book Catalogs from Scholastic Book. Now my students can order books and I can get points and I can order books and get points and I can build my class library.

Things that did not happen today:

1. Death. Nobody died. I'd say that's a pretty big plus for me as a teacher.

2. I did not make anyone cry today. Also a good thing for a first day.

3. Dragons. Dragons did not happen today and I am informed there are none in my school. At least, none that will chase you down the hallways. The dragons on my wall are purely for show. They cannot come alive.

Probably.

4. A pencil sharpener that stayed working the entire day. Well, it's not like I haven't gone to the store almost every day for the past week and a half to get stuff for my classroom. So. I have to go to the store again.

But on the bright side, I have students who are more than willing to sharpen all my pencils for me. So that's a plus.

3 comments:

  1. Lol! Great day! I love the way you do the rules! Brilliant. Inspired!
    Umm. Actually, you not want to know that the dragon is alive. Did one of your students say he wasn't?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *might. You might want to know. #ProofreadBeforePosting.

      Delete
  2. Are you going to add a picture of your dragon? Or of your first day back?

    ReplyDelete