Thursday, March 22, 2018

I want to be an Astronaut

This post was originally supposed to be a poem. Instead it became the kind of 5 paragraph essay my students sometimes write.


Okay, so once upon a time today we went on a field trip the the planetarium and I don't know why I chose to be a teacher in my life when being an astronaut is infinitely cooler.

First of all, because the government started up the space program again and there are now private enterprises developing space travel resources, there are now more opportunities than ever to be an astronaut. For example, Boeing is making a 38 story rocket which will lift a crew into space and send them to Mars. The rocket will be the largest ever built. SpaceX is also working on developing plans for a human colony on Mars.

Secondly due to advancing technology and innovative designs, scientists have created a way to send a rocket to space and then enlarge it. This is done using compressed air and an inflatable living space. Astronauts going to Mars will be able to live for 6 months in an inflatable spaceship. This spaceship will have a living area larger than that of the ISS (International Space Station). By the way, it took more than 40 trips into space to carry all the parts of the ISS into space and then assemble it. This inflatable spaceship will require just one launch.

Thirdly, astronauts are able to use simulations to practice landing, living, and working on other planets. These simulations include computer programs, physical mock ups, and living in a submarine for up to two weeks. Because of these simulations, astronauts are far better prepared to explore other planets, moons, and asteroids. They will be more familiar with the terrain of other worlds because they have experienced the simulations.

For these and other reasons, I want to become an astronaut. Some of you may say that it is not worth the time, effort, and money I'll have to invest in order to go back to school to do something other than what I've dreamed of doing my whole life. To you naysayers I say, "Point taken. I will therefore wait for a colony to be established on Mars and then I will apply to be a teacher in the colony."

Yes! I'm so excited to be an old astronaut teacher on Mars!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, that's great! Except everyone on this planet will miss you. How long does it take to travel to Mars? You can come visit me in the tropics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how many time zone changes? In the meantime, read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy

    ReplyDelete