Saturday, March 3, 2018

I'm thinking of a student who used to be in my class

Today I am thinking about a student whom I no longer teach. I'm thinking about his bright smile and the way he'd say, "I'm baa-aack!" Everytime he walked into the room.

I'm thinking of the books he read that he didn't comprehend and how when he transferred schools his mom didn't even pick up the dinosaur book he loved so much.

I'm thinking of how everyone loved him and how he loved all the girls. I'm thinking of the way he fit in snuggly with all the students at school, not just those in my class.

I'm thinking of the way he yelled at me when I assigned him to work with a student who was not his favorite girl and the other student let him draw unicorns on their page to make it a bit easier.

I'm thinking of the snacks he ate in my class which his mother brought in. She didn't take those either when he transferred schools.

I'm thinking of how he said I was his favorite teacher and that I almost moved into his parents' basement apartment when I was looking for housing at the end of summer.

I'm thinking of another student with similar qualities and challenges and how he's grown. I wonder what changes my former student would have shown had he stayed in my class. But I guess I'll never know.

Today I'm thinking of a student who used to be in my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment