Friday, March 2, 2018

Second Year Teaching

I like Second Year of teaching way more than I liked First (I really liked First). I like knowing how to take charge of a group. I like knowing how to implement ideas on the fly to get a class to settle down, or even just a student. My, "on the fly" lessons are easier to handle because I've done it before. My classroom management has improved exponentially. I see and understand things more quickly this year than I did last year.

The only thing I didn't like at the beginning of the year was not knowing my students yet. Who loves writing? Who loves to code? Who is going to have the funnest time with math?

As it is now closer to the end of the year I've been able to answer these questions and more. I've been able to get to know the boys who write a stick figure comic. I think mostly the stick figures die at the end.

I've been able to get to know the girl who begs to code and the students who pay attention only when writing or creating origami pieces.

I've gotten to know the boy who is sweet and always gives sincere compliments during the compliment circle and the girl who cries when I tell her I am going to help her with math. She draws some of the best wide eyed unicorn drawings I've ever seen.


It's been a fun ride and I love my students. I'm not even remotely ready for the end. 

1 comment:

  1. And every year you teach (I'm at year 20ish) you will continue to evolve. Keep a routine, tweak a routine, ditch a routine. That's what makes it fun. Happy slicing!

    ReplyDelete